This past weekend, I ran a series of user tests with the latest prototype of my thesis project. I reserved a classroom on the 10th floor of 2 W 13th Street (room 1013) and set up the prototype along with a large guitar amp, various effects pedals (delay, distortion, etc), and a drum machine. The group of people who tested the project included fellow students, friends, musicians, and Parsons Faculty.
I included a few updates in the program, which included a full 12 tone scale matched to specific hue values within the full visible light color spectrum, tempo/speed changes, and the use of object area to determine appropriate scale (meaning the larger the piece the lower the octave, the smaller the piece the higher the octave). I also updated the light platform to provide a better color for camera detection. The PS3 Eyesight is biased a little on the cooler color side.
The reactions and results were great, and it provided me plenty of feedback for taking the next steps with the interface and the software portion of the project. In general, there was a wide array of approaches to how to create musical pieces. Some were methodical, other’s used the space between the platform and the camera to manipulate the sounds, and others just went crazy.
Here is a video of some of the folks testing this prototype:
Thanks to Ivy, Greg Climber (and his friend), Katherine Moriwaki, Jonah Brucker-Cohen, Matt Ruby, Steven Sclafani, Cara Lynn, Lou Sclafani, Zach Lieberman, George Bixby, Rob Ramirez, Shane Lessa, and Manuel Rueda Iragorri for coming in to test and offering up your valuable feedback. Looking forward to tackling the next set of updates and changes.
The next user testing session will be…
2 W 13th Street, Room 1013 (map)
3/26 (Saturday) 1 – 7pm
3/27 (Sunday) 4 – 10pm
All are welcome, so if you plan on coming, please send me an e-mail so I can make sure you’re all set with security downstairs.
For more information on my thesis project, RhythmSynthesis, you can check here.